What to do if I was cited for an accident but the other party was not even though I don’t think that I was completely at fault?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was cited for an accident but the other party was not even though I don’t think that I was completely at fault?

I was on a one way street turning right and had to swing out to the left a little to miss a pole on the edge of the road. The other party was following me and tried to pass me on the right hand side of the road. I am confused as to me being 100% at fault, if at all?

Asked on November 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the police report says that you were at fault in the accident, it is unlikely that you will be able to get that finding changed.

You may want to discuss the matter with your insurance company and see if it will dispute the findings with the other driver's insurance company.  If you are at fault in the accident, your insurance carrier will pay for the property damage and personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle.  Most of these cases are settled with the insurance company without filing a lawsuit.  In the event the case is not settled, and the othe party files a lawsuit, your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption