What can I do if I was charged with violating a protection order because my ex-wife talked to me in court?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was charged with violating a protection order because my ex-wife talked to me in court?

We where in court and she asked me a question directly; I responded by saying that we cannot talk about that (in a non threating manner). A court advocate saw it and had them press charges. How do you even go to court with a protection order if you have to be 100 yards away and can’t converse to defend yourself and the courtroom is no bigger than a 2000sq feet? Isn’t there a safe harbor law that keeps these events from happening? Otherwise anyone that walks into the court building by definition is violating the protection order of staying 100 yards away. How is this legal?

Asked on December 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your case must be reviewed by an attorney.  You can certainly serve and filed court actions even if there is a restrining order in place.  You cannot communicate, however, outside of that plegal proceeding even if the other party tries to imitiate it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption