If I was charged with theft under $500 about 3 years ago, how can I find out if the charge is on my record?

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with theft under $500 about 3 years ago, how can I find out if the charge is on my record?

I successfullly completed the judicial diversion and paid all the fines. I was told by my public defender that after i paid the expungment fee the chrage would come off my record. i paid the fee, but never heard anything back from it. Will my fingerprints still be in the system from when I was arrested?

Asked on February 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You'll need to check your criminal istory record (a/k/a "rap sheet"). You can contact your local police department which can run your name through its computer databases. To find the nearest Tennessee police or county sheriff's office, go to: http://www.usacops.com/tn/

Additionally, many websites provide arrest and conviction information for a small fee or you can search the Tennessee Department of Correction website at: http://www.state.tn.us/correction/

Also, at the Federal Burau of Prisons website, you can check out Public Access to Court Electronic Records at: pacer.psc.uscourts.gov Finally, you can go in person to the appropriate TN courthouse to search for criminal information. For a list of phone numbers and addresses to county courts in Tennessee go to: http://www.publicrecordsinfo.com/court_records/Tennessee_court_records.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption