If I was charged with theft by my employer and was terminated, am still entitled to my last paycheck?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with theft by my employer and was terminated, am still entitled to my last paycheck?

They were the victim. They pressed charges an was arrested.

Asked on November 19, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are still entitled to your last paycheck, and may sue (e.g. in small claims court) for it if you don't get it; even if an employee is fired for a criminal act, and even if the employer feels the employee owes them money (e.g. because the employee stole from the employer), the employee must still be paid for all work done. Of course, if you sue for the check, they are free to countersue for the amount you stole, and that amount will be an offset against what they owe you. Depending on how much you stole, it may not be worthwhile suing for the check, since you might not get much, if anything, from the suit, or could even owe them money (if you stole more than the check).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption