If I was charged with possession of marijuana about 10 years ago, can I get it off of my record?

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with possession of marijuana about 10 years ago, can I get it off of my record?

I want to get a better job.

Asked on March 24, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Minnesota law allows expungement of a court record if the outcome is "in your favor." Even if you are found "not guilty" in a criminal case, government offices may still have records about your case. If, for example, you were arrested and charged, but the case was later dismissed, you may ask for an expungement. If, for example, you successfully completed a pre-trial “diversion program” and you never pled guilty, then you may also qualify for an expungement.  I suggest you contact a private attorney for assistance.  I suggest you phone several attorneys in choosing one to help you.  All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption