What is the penalty for an obstruction of justice charge?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the penalty for an obstruction of justice charge?

I lied to the police about who I was when I was with my boyfriend who has a no contact order. Wondering what the punishment for this in WI is?

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well besides your lying to the police - which yes, is a crime under the law commonly known as obstruction of justice - your boyfriend has violated the no contact order and he can be arrested for same.  It is my understanding that the violation is a misdemeanor.  As for your charge of lying to the police, it is also a serious crime and again in most jurisdictions it will also be a misdemeanor.  I would consult with an attorney as to the matter as a whole.  If there is a no contact order you are not doing your boyfriend any favors by having contact.  You need to stay away until the order is lifted as hard as that may seem.  Otherwise you are going to have much bigger problems down the road.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption