If I was charged with disorderly conduct for possession of an unused bong, what is the best way to go about my court case?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with disorderly conduct for possession of an unused bong, what is the best way to go about my court case?

This is my first altercation with the police.Can I dispute the charge saying that it was not in fact disorderly conduct because I did not have any substance (no marijuana in the bong) therefore it was not causing any threat? How can I build my case so I will receive the minimum fine and possibly have the case dismissed? Also, because there were no drugs found will I still get drug tested?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Listen: representing your self in this case is  really not a good idea.  You need to have an attorney.  If you can not afford an attorney then ask the court to appoint one.  You have a keen mind and I think that you are alluding to the basics of legal representation here.  You take the elements of the crime and see if they match up to the facts of the case.  You try and see where they do not - finding loop holes in the case - and start to plug away at them.  You find case law to support your defense.  And then you ask the court to see the matter as you do and render a decision accordingly.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption