If I was charged with a DWI 9 years ago but never went to court, what are my options now?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with a DWI 9 years ago but never went to court, what are my options now?

I was under the impression that this had been taken care of when it happened 9 years ago. I never heard anything else from the court or police. I went to renew my license in GA and found out that it has been suspended and I have a bench warrant issued because of this charge. How can they just now decide to suspend my license and all after 9 years? What options do I have?

Asked on August 25, 2011 North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well you need to clear up the bench warrant.  Yes, it is odd that it took them 9 years to catch up with you but sometimes the wheels of justice grind slowly.  Eventually they do catch up with you.  What you need to do is surrender yourself voluntarily and it may be a very good idea for you to hire an attorney to run interference for you. I am still trying to figure out how you could have thought that the matter was "taken care of" with out paying a fine or going to court.  But be that as it may you need to address it now.  Depending on what evidence they still have on the matter and in the court file, you could be in a better position that the warrant implies.  Get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption