What to do if a sealed offense shows up on my criminal record?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a sealed offense shows up on my criminal record?

I was charged of a 2nd Degree Felony during 2002. I was 17 when initially arrested and turned 18 by the time the case ended in 12/02. The charge was reduced to a violation of disorderly conduct and I was told that my record would be sealed. I was under the impression that I had no criminal history until I recently requested a letter of good conduct from the police department so I could renew my passport. The report read that I had a 1 felony charge (PL 130.30 01 DF). I was in total disbelief that all this time my record was not sealed.

Asked on February 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Sometimes, not often, records that were suppossed to have been sealed are not.  Therefore, the offense still shows up on a criminal record history.  There are steps that you can take to clean-up your record under NY law.  For an explanation, here is a link to a site that I think you will find to be of help:  http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/arrests_and_searches/overview-of-expunging-clearing-your-criminal-record-in-new-york-state.htm  You can then click on the associated links for more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption