What to do if I was charged for felony larceny because I removed a security device?

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was charged for felony larceny because I removed a security device?

The value of the merchandise was $60. I have no criminal record. What am I facing?

Asked on December 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have no prior criminal record, this then is your first offense. Under the circumstances, the courts generally allow for a special probation called "diversion". This is an alternative sentencing tool that allows a person to clear their "RAP sheet" upon successful completion. Basically, it works as follows: the defendant goes to court and pleads guilty to the offense; the judge then issues probation (typically community service and the imposition of a fine); when the sentence is fully completed the plea is withdrawn and the case is dismissed. In other words, your case is "diverted" out of the criminal justice system (so your criminal history record will be cleared).

At this point you should consult with a criminal defense lawyer. If they can get the charge dropped on a technicality or the like, then diversion would be available to you in the future should he ever need it (since it is only allowed for first time offenses).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption