What should I do if I was caught stealing from a department store today?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was caught stealing from a department store today?

I am a minor and the amount was $40. I also have a truancy ticket pending. Does that mean it’s my second offense? My family has no money to pay for my mistakes. I was told that I would receive a civil recovery notice from the store. Does that mean I’m going to court or that I just have to pay to the store?

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A civil recovery notice is a situation where the store that you supposedly shoplifted merchandise from is when it sends you a bill in lieu of going to court for a civil action concerning the costs it incurred with your citation.

Your truancy ticket is a separate and independent charge unrelated per se as to the theft charge that you recently received. There is a possibility that there may be a criminal matter against you resulting from the shoplifitng incident separate from the civil recovery notice. I suggest that you pay the civil recovery notice from the store and hope for the best that the shoplifting incident has ended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption