What to do about a late payment on a truck that resulted in a repossession?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a late payment on a truck that resulted in a repossession?

I was buying a pick-up truck from a neighbor and he had a recovery company pick it up because I was one day late and had not made him a payment of $150. Now I have to pay the remaining $ 850, plus the recovery fee of $150 within 10 days or loose all I have in it. Can he do this?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you bought this in a private sale, and he sold it to you with time payments, you should review the contract you have with him.  If you didn't have a contractual arrangement, then he did not follow proper protocol because he did not give you notice this would occur and/or you both did not come to an agreement about what could happen if you were late with your payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption