What canI do ifI was brutally attacked by a co-worker at work?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do ifI was brutally attacked by a co-worker at work?

I was knocked unconscious and while I was unconscious he continued to hit me. Witnesses say and that I did nothing wrong. I was transported to the hospital and treated for a concussion and contusions to the back of the head, a busted lip and both hands are sprained and contused as well. He was not arrested nor was I asked if I wanted to press charges. My boss told my wife that they were really sorry and if I needed anything to call them. The next day she called to see if they had a copy of the police report and they said not to come back. I did nothing wrong.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Why haven't you called the police by now, to report the assault and press charges? You can take the initiative to do this.

2) You can sue him for your injuries--e.g. for medical costs, for pain and suffering, for lost wages.

3) If your employer had knowledge that he had either committed or threatened workplace violence before, or had made specific threats against you and did not do anything, you may be able to sue them for negligent supervision.

4) You may have a claim for improper termination, if you were filed for reporting a criminal violation...you should discuss this, and well as your other potential legal claims, with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption