What to do if I was borrowing someone’s car and while in a parking lot I accidentally bumped a parked car’s fender?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was borrowing someone’s car and while in a parking lot I accidentally bumped a parked car’s fender?

No major damages just a few scratches in the paint. I did not leave the scene before talking to the owner of the car who was very hostile and I gave them my name and phone number and offered to personally pay for the damage (if any) . My question is does there need to be any involvement with insurance or the law ? And how should I go about dealing with this ? I don’t know where I stand legally . The owner of the car that I was driving also does not wish to be involved as they were not there at the time of the incident .

Asked on March 18, 2015 under Accident Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you had permission to drive the vehicle then you should not have any issues to worry about. The accident needs to be reported to the police and the insurance company of the owner asap.  California has what is known as a permissive use statute that makes the owner vicariously liable for the accident of the driver. It is also a law to report any accident that occurs while operating a motor vehicle.  If his insurance company is contacted by the other guys insurance company they can disclaim coverage for lack of notice. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption