How do I get the documents that prove I’m a citizen?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the documents that prove I’m a citizen?

I was born in a foreign country. when I was my dad was transferred to the US, I went with him under a green card. When I was 14 my dad got his citizenship and, since I was a minor, I naturally became one as well. however, later on my dad sent me back to my native country at 16 with no documents to prove that I’m an American citizen. what should be the steps I am taking now that I am 20 years old and considered an adult?

Asked on September 6, 2014 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Copies of the documents that were filed on your behalf are held in archive and can indeed be ordered, even ordered online.  I am going to give you a link here to the page that explains it all and to start you off finding the documents.  Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption