IfI was injured when a car backed into mine, what shouldI settle for or should I sue?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI was injured when a car backed into mine, what shouldI settle for or should I sue?

I was backed into by a woman who wasn’t paying attention in a parking lot. I have bad whiplash and I may have a few pinched nerves. Her insurance wants to settle with me for only $500 but I think I might be able to get more because I will be in and out of chiropractors for a while and I may need something done about my neck. Should I ask for more or maybe sue?

Asked on August 9, 2011 Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is consult with a personal injury attorney; let him or her evaluate your case and help you understand what it may be worth. Some guidelines to bear in mind--you can potentially recover:

1) All medical costs to date;

2) Future medical costs, if sufficiently certain (so ongoing therapy, for example);

3) Lost wages  (if any) to date;

4) Future dimunition or reduction of earning power due to disability (if any);

5) Pain and suffering, if the injury is serious enough or you suffer loss of function or the ability to fully enjoy life;

6) Any other out of pocket (e.g. if you can't keep house do to your injury, the cost of a housekeeper)

7) Any property damage (e.g. your car)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption