If I was associated with theft over 2 years ago but missed my court date, what do I do about the warrant that was then issued?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was associated with theft over 2 years ago but missed my court date, what do I do about the warrant that was then issued?

I was not taken into custody, so I assumed it was thrown under the bus. I was living with a friend at the occurance of the incident but when I went away to college I was not informed of any mail received on a court date. I recently applied for a job but failed the background check. Come to find out I missed a court date and a warrant was issued almost 2 years ago. I knew nothing about these charges and now I don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Criminal Law, District of Columbia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to deal with since warrants do not expire. What you will need to do is to appear in the court that issued the warrant. However, do not turn yourself in without first speaking with a lawyer in the area of where all of this occurred. They can best help you navigate the local court system to your best advanatge.  Additionally, you will also need to clear up the theft charge for which you were to have appeared for in the first place. Again, you would be well-advised to consult ASAP with a criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption