What to do if I’m being charged with possession of a drug that was not mine?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being charged with possession of a drug that was not mine?

I was arrested and taken to jail. Then, 2 hours later, the arresting officer came back to the jail and said that he found a half ounce of meth In the back of his car; he went home and was doing the end of his shift mileage log. Now I’m being charged with it. However, I was also on video being shown being patted down twice before being placed in the car.

Asked on October 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Then you need to immediately hire an attorney to challenge this method of the arresting officer's activities. Furthermore, your lawyer should investigate whether this was a plant and plan on filing with the court a motion to review this officer's personnel records to see if anything like this has been complained of before.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption