If I was arrested on a theft of services charge, is there anyway I can plead guilty without having to go to court?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was arrested on a theft of services charge, is there anyway I can plead guilty without having to go to court?

The arrest was made after I drunkenly jumped over a subway turnstile after a football game. I am currently 5.5 hours away from the area and would hate to have to actually go to court. The reason I ask is because there is no phone number listed on the ticket citation. I should also mention I have one prior arrest, a misdemeanor of possession of trace amount of marijuana 3 years ago.

Asked on March 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, no--a guilty plea requires showing up in court to accept the plea and confirm to the judge that you are doing it freely and voluntarily. That doesn't mean you can't ask: try contacting the court before which you'll have to respond. You should be able to get the phone number from the web.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption