What can I do to get the state’s attorney to either drop charges or proceed with the case?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get the state’s attorney to either drop charges or proceed with the case?

I was arrested over 3 1/2 years ago for possession, grand theft, and other. About 9 months later, I was sent to diversion and told to pay restitution and do community service. Then 11 months ag, the state said I was not accepted into diversion because I have not completed the requirements. Since then the state’s attorney has put off my court dates each week. What can I do? This has caused a pause in my life and I cannot affored a lawyer like I did when orginally charged.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot presently afford an attorney to represent at the present time, I suggest that you go to the public defender's office to see if you qualify for the appointment of the public defender or the appointment of a private attorney to defend you by the court.

If you want the matter against you resolved sooner rather than later, do not waive time for trial. By not waiving time, the prosecution will be forced to either try the case against you or dismiss the charges. I suggest that you have an attorney representing you at the time you decide to not waive time to try the case against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption