What to do if I was arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated and obstruction?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated and obstruction?

The arresting police office said he was going to talk to the DA about getting me a plea deal for a substance abuse program. Should I still try and get a public defender? I don’t have a court date yet but received a letter about public defender.

Asked on December 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should get a public defender becaue while the police officer may try to help, it will not be up to him to get you a plea deal. He does not represent you and has no legal responsibility to help you. Your lawyer can certainly work with the police officer to get a plea deal but that way your attorney can ensure all avenues are thoroughly reviewed. This includes delayed or alternative convictions, possible dismissals (especially if there is no prior conviction) and/or substance abuse programs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption