I was arrested for my 1st dwi,my breath test showed .18 i have no criminal history. do i have to serve jail time and have the inhalation machine

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was arrested for my 1st dwi,my breath test showed .18 i have no criminal history. do i have to serve jail time and have the inhalation machine

i was arrested for my 1st dwi. i agreed to take the breat test and it was .18 i have no criminal history, and only 1 traffic ticket in 18 yrs of driving. will i have to serve jail time, and have to have the breath inhalation machine installed in my car? is it possible just to get a strict probation instead?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

DWI, 1st Offense: Class B Misdemeanor.

 - Fine: A fine not to exceed $2,000.00.

 - Jail: Confinement in the County Jail for a term of not less than 72 hours nor more than six (6) months.

- Open Container: If there was an open container of alcohol in your car when arrested, the minimum term of confinement is six (6) days in the county jail.

 - Community Service: Texas law mandates that a judge order not less than 24 hours nor more than 100 hours.

Absent unusual facts, most persons convicted of a first offense DWI are granted community supervision (probation). The general length of DWI probation is two years.  There are also conditions of community supervision ordered that are fairly standard in most courts.  Typical conditions imposed are: Drug/Alcohol Evaluation, Alcohol Education, and attendance at a MADD Victim Impact Panel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption