What to do if I was wrongly arrested for Felony Fail To Return Leased/Hired Property Value Over $300?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was wrongly arrested for Felony Fail To Return Leased/Hired Property Value Over $300?

I am a CNA I cannot have a felony on my record; I would lose my license and my job. I had to go into my rent money to post bond ( am 36 weeks pregnant and didn’t want to go through the stress of staying in jail). I have proof – a receipt saying that I returned the laptop to RAC within the 90 day limit 2 months before the warrant was issued. I went to RAC to get a paper saying that I returned it and the district manager doesn’t understand why a warrant was issued. I don’t have the money to pay for any court fees or to even to get my record cleared. Can I just take the paper to the court house without having to go to court and can I sue RAC just for my court fees?

Asked on April 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't just take the paper to court--there is a process which must be followed in all cases, criminal or civil. Ideally, you should retain an attorney to assist you. If you cannot afford one, try contacting either legal aid or your local bar association for a pro bono (free) referral. If you simply can't get an attorney, then contact the prosecutor's office, share with them a copy of the paper (ALWAYS keep a copy yourself) and see if the prosecutor will voluntarily dismiss the case. If the prosecutor will not, then you will have to appear in court and defend yourself; the paper showing proper and timely return of the laptop will be a key part of your defense.

You would only be able to recover fees or other compensation from the RAC if you can show that they were reckless (or worse)--that is, they contacted the authorities to prosecute you when the knew you were innocent, or were reckless about (didn't care about) the issue of guilt or innocent. If, however, they thought you had failed to return the laptop at the time they contacted the authorities, then they would most likely not be able to recover anything--they may have been wrong, but people and companies are not punished for contacting the authorities to report a suspected crime simply because it later turns out they were mistaken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption