What to do if I was arrested for DUI and was not driving but I was standing next to a running vehicle when the police pulled up?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was arrested for DUI and was not driving but I was standing next to a running vehicle when the police pulled up?

I admitted to drinking and undwent a blood alcohol test and was well over limit. Should I fight this and go to trial?

Asked on February 18, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the other evidence against you.  If there is absolutely no evidence that you were operating the vehicle, then, yes, you should fight the charge because there is a good chance you could win. 

However, before you make this decision, request discovery in your case and know all the evidence against you.  The prosecutor can offer other circumstantial evidence against you to show that you were operating the vehicle.  For example, if the vehicle was on a vacant country road, you were the only person present, the engine was warm, and you asked that the keys to the car be placed in your property bag-- then they would have a fairly decent case of you operating a vehicle while you were intoxicated.  Keep in mind that most people get hung up on the term driving versus operating.  Most courts will hold that turning on the car, even it is never put in motion, is still operating the vehicle----- despite the fact that the title of the charge is driving under the influence. 

If there were no facts to show that you operated the vehicle then fight the charge.  Facts that could help you would include:  it wasn't your car, multiple people were around the car, you have never been involved with this car, or the driver is willing to show up and testify that they had turned on the engine.

If you do decide to fight this charge, strongly consider hiring a criminal defense attorney to help you.  They can help insure that only admissible evidence is used against you during this process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption