Can you get an arrest expunged if the DA declined to file charges?

UPDATED: May 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get an arrest expunged if the DA declined to file charges?

The arrest was last year for domestic violence. Do I qualify with California PC 851.8 or PC 849.5?

Asked on May 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are asking for guidance an interpretation for specific statutes and for that you need to ask an attorney in your area.  But the way that you phrased the question it appears that you were only arrested and not charged or convicted of any crime.  And generally speaking then you should be entitled to an expungement of the arrest record in just about every state.  I am sure that there are probably forms that you can get on line and through the court system in the county in California in which you live.  Even if you find them from a different county they may be able to be modified as most forms are similar in nature as they have to comply with state statutes.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption