If I was arrested for a DUI last month and will have my license suspended, what the laws are regarding other forms of transportation?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was arrested for a DUI last month and will have my license suspended, what the laws are regarding other forms of transportation?

Obviously motorcycles, scooters, etc that require a CA drivers license are out of the question. Would I be able to ride a go-ped or motorized bicycle, which do not require an sort of license to operate, with my suspended license? I’m under the impression that If I don’t need a license to ride it, it should be okay. Is this true or because my license is suspended I can’t ride/drive anything with a motor. If this is the case does that mean I can’t even drive a golf cart when I go golfing? I understand I can get a DUI on a bicycle/ golf cart, etc. But can a operate one sober?

Asked on August 19, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested last month for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, under California law your driving privileges will be suspended by Caifornia's Department of Motor Vehicles. However, you can make an application with this entity to have driving privileges to and from work. This might be an option for you.

Under Calfornia law, you cannot operate a motorized vehicle on a public street requiring a driver's license for its operation if your driver's license is suspended. A bicycle, a bicycle with an electric motor, skateboard, or a scooter without a motor are allowed for transportation in your circumstances.

For clarification of your question on your allowed mode of transportation you need to contact California's Department of Motor Vehicles on the subject.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption