How can I successfully fight a DUI?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I successfully fight a DUI?

I was arrested and jailed in to York, SC. When I went to see the judge, my paperwork stated DUI less than .10, 1st offence. Open container. Sounds like these are 2 different offences. Just wondered if they are 2 different charges and if there is a chance to get out of it? Should I retain a lawyer? If so, from North or South Carolina?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should indeed retain an attorney.  I would suggest retaining one in South Carolina who knows his or her ins and outs with the laws and the Judges there.  It will also be less expensive (if you retain one in North Carolina I am sure that they will charge you for travel time, gas, etc.). As for being charged with 2 different charges, that is possible.  Or maybe they just added a few "lesser" charges to bargain down the offense later on.  But your attorney will know best.  Speak with him or her as soon as you can. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption