What to do if I was arrested at my home for harassment?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was arrested at my home for harassment?

My child’s father’s girlfriend dropped my daughter off at my house on a Sunday night instead of taking her to school the following Monday. On the front porch she initiated an argument with me over my child’s softball and his custody rights. I told her to leave or I would call the police. As I turned to walk inside she grabbed my right shoulder throwing me to the ground, scratching my face and bruising my right eye. She then took off running to her vehicle park on the road. I chased her yelling not to ever come back to my home that or I would call the police and have you arrested. She spun out throwing gravel and rocks all over me. I was arrested 2 weeks later for harassment.

Asked on March 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

So what she really did was try and get the upper hand by reporting you before you reported her.  Do you have any witnesses to the incident?  Other than say your children?  I would speak with an attorney in your area on the matter as soon as you can.  These are obviously trumped up charges but they need to be taken seriously.  Please also speak with an attorney about having a protective order in place for you AND your child against her.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption