What to do if I was arrested, admitted to the crime and have been charged with possession of narcotics?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was arrested, admitted to the crime and have been charged with possession of narcotics?

From the moment of arrest through incarceration and release, I was overly cooperative with the police. I said/wrote what they asked me to. I also gave them information on the dealer I bought the drugs from. I ID’d him in a photo they had, I gave them his name, and phone number I texted him at, and how I reached him to being with (since I had never done anything like this before). I “snitched” on the guy to assist the cops. I feel now that it was a mistake and that since I don’t like in a large city, I put myself and my family in danger to assist the police.My first court hearing this cooperation was ignored. What can I do next time?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are talking about what to do next time-- meaning in the event that you are ever arrested again... then invoke your right to counsel before you make a statement.  Even though the police always "offer to talk to the prosecutor for you," the final decision on your case is always with the prosecutor-- not the cop you are talking to.

If you are talking about what to do next time-- meaning your next court date-- you need to request an attorney if you do not already have one.  They may be able to either help you get the deal that was originally promised.  If that does not work, they may also be able to help you challenge the statements that you made on the basis that you were induced to make them, when obviously law enforcement had no intention of honoring the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption