Is it legal for a job application to ask, “haveyou ever received food stamps or TANIF”?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a job application to ask, “haveyou ever received food stamps or TANIF”?

I was applying for a part-time job just for the holidays.

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Georgia offers what looks like a pretty successful program for the temporary assistance of needy families (TANF).  Many employers are part of the work participation program under TANF.  It may be that this particular employer is a participating employer and similar to questions regarding veterans, it gives preference to those in TANF.  You can certainly confirm this employer's TANF participation by checking with the agency who handles the TANF program in your state (usually department of human and health services). In Georgia, it is an application process for the employer to become a TANF participant. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption