What to do about a creditor that is trying to force a payment after a bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a creditor that is trying to force a payment after a bankruptcy?

I was a member of a credit union for years. I had a credit card with them. I also had a car loan through them that has been paid off. I filed Chapter 7 after being laid off to relieve the credit card debt. However, I continued to pay off the car loan; it has been 2 years since I paid it off. I just purchased a new car and used the previous vechicle as a trade. However, the credit union is refusing to release the title of the paid off vechicle saying that I have to pay the CC debt that was discharged in bankruptcy. What can I do? We already have the new car and the dealer wants to close the deal. We were never notified of the lien and there has been no attempt on behalf of the credit union to collect tdebt

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the order of discharge concerning your bankruptcy as well as the schedule of creditors to see if you had the lien on the vehicle that you have written about discharged or not where you own the vehicle free and clear or not. I suggest that you have another consultation with your prior bankruptcy attorney as to what the final disposition was concerning the lien on the vehicle that you have written about.

Most likely the lien was not discharged in your bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption