If I was 16 whenI got regnant and my boyfriend at the time was 21, will he get in trouble for age difference?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was 16 whenI got regnant and my boyfriend at the time was 21, will he get in trouble for age difference?

I am in the process of child support paperwork but do not want to submit it if it means he will be charged with any sort of sex crime. My son is now 19 months and I am now 19.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are now over the age of majority (eighteen [18] years) and became pregnant with your boyfriend's child while a minor and he was an adult, there is still the possibility that the statute of limitations in your state for the criminal offense of "statutory rape" (having consensual sex with a minor when one party is legally an adult) may not have run where your boyfriend could be charged with such an offense at this time.

Even if the statute of limitations has not run, the chances of the district attorney's office pursuing such a charge against your boyfriend most likely will not occur since you are now nineteen (19) years old and there is a child to consider.

To determine whether of not the statute of limitations has run for the offense of "statutory rape" in Washington State and if not the likelihood of charges being filed at this time, you should contact a criminal defense attorney in your state about this issue.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption