What to do if I want to transfer my misdemeanor probation to another state?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to transfer my misdemeanor probation to another state?

My whole family lives out of state and has for over 80 years. I currently work remotely as a telecommuter. My charge is harassment and is a misdemeanor with 2 years probation and DV classes and fines. The fines are paid, my DV classes are underway; I have 19 months left on 2 year sentence. My father just passed and my 87 year mother needs help to survive and support herself. I also have an older special needs brother, who needs help and support as well. I am 47 years old and have been gainfully employed my whole life.

Asked on January 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Colorado participates in the Interstate Compact for Adult Offender Supervision as the per the Colorado State Judicial Branch. Therefore, you may be able to easily transfer your probation but at the very least you will need the permission/approval of the other state. You cannot do this on your own. Talk to your probation officer about the need for the move and what you need to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption