What to do if I want to sue my half-sister for some of my deceased father’s estate?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to sue my half-sister for some of my deceased father’s estate?

I don’t know how she got all of it and I never received a dime. Is it possible to sue? Last I heard it was somewhere between $40,000 to 60,000 for her to receive on her 21st birthday.

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your question cannot be answered without more information.  If your father had a will, he could leave all of his assets to your half-sister.  If he had a trust, he could do the same thing.  He could even name your half-sister as a beneficiary on assets.  When did your father die?  You need to know all of this in order to answer your question.  I suggest that you consult a probate attorney in your father's area to find out what you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption