Can I sue my employer for education discrimination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer for education discrimination?

I have been passed up for the last 4 jobs all of which I have the experience especially the latest job that was occupied by my former supervisor who I help trained and the department. I don’t have a batchelors degree but have the experience more than any of the candidates in the positions. All of the ones hired had no experience in the field of marketing or any prior experience and all have bathcelors degree and where of white nationality. Im puerto rican and have no college degree but have all the experience. Do I have a case to move forward to sue?

Asked on October 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "education discrimination". Legally actionable discrimination has to do with lesser treatment being received by a person due to their race, religion, gender, nationality, age (over 40) or disability (plus any other factor as provided by specific state law). Other than these "protected classes", not all employees need be treated the same or even fairly. Accordingly, unless your treatment violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, you have no claim here. The fact it that absent the foregoing exceptions, a company can set the conditions of the worklace much as it sees fit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption