I want to sue a plastic surgeon for medical malpractice.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to sue a plastic surgeon for medical malpractice.

My wife had breast reduction surgery back in 2010 and now she has
cancer on both breasts. Can I sue the doctor/ plastic surgeon for
medical malpractice?

Asked on September 17, 2016 under Malpractice Law


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

On what basis? You need to be able to show two things for a malpractice suit--
1) Causation: that something the doctor did, or a diagnosis he missed, caused the medical condition or harm. In this case, you'd need to show that either the breast reduction surgery caused the cancer, and/or that she had early stage cancer at the time which the doctor should have detected (so it could have been nipped in the bud or treated years ago), but did not. You need medical evidence to show this.
2) Fault, or that the doctor was negligent (unreasonably careless) or otherwise provided medical care that fell below the then-accepted standard or level of care. Malpractice is based on fault--on the doctor doing something wrong. Sometimes, though, bad things happen to patients even when the doctor does everything right, and when that happens, there is no liability. So you'd also have to have medical evidence or a medical expert's opinon that the care was faulty in order to have a claim.
Unless you can show these things, there is no claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption