What to do if I want to somehow emancipate myself from my father or have my mother gain sole physical custody?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to somehow emancipate myself from my father or have my mother gain sole physical custody?

I am 14 years old and my parents are divorced. How can I make this happen? And, if so, how much will it cost?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Filing for emancipation is really difficult.  You are just old enough, but would need to prove to a judge that you could financially support yourself--including transportation and housing.  Also the judge would have to find that emancipation is in your best interest.  You can read more about it here:


Your best bet is to convince your mom to file to modify custody.  The only problem is that unless something (anything) has changed since the custody arrangement was put in place, a judge won't modify the arrangment.  Has anyone moved, changed jobs, have your grades changed, etc.?  If anything like this has changed, then she might be able to get a change in custody.  Since you are 14 the court will listen to your input.  They don't have to do what you say, but they will definitely listen to you more than they would a younger minor. 

Regardless of which parent you end up living with, I would recommend that you seek individual therapy to help cope with issues springing from your parents divorce.  Whether or not you think you need it--I think you would find it helpful.

If you happen to live in Ventura County, I would be happy to give you and your mother a free initial consultation to discuss what is going on.

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption