What to do if I want to set up janitorial services company?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to set up janitorial services company?

What applications do I need to fill out in order to start doing business? And what is the difference between an Inc. and LLC legal structure? I’m planning work myself but eventually hire a few people.

Asked on November 13, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A limited liability company (LLC) and a subchapter S corporation (a type of "inc.") are essentially for the same for 90% of practical purposes: they both insulate the owner(s) from personal liability for business debts (unless the owner(s) personally guaranteed the debts; and except for a few specific exceptions, like debts arising from a tort the owner personally committed, like running someone over while driving a company vehicle, or certain tax debts); they are also both "pass through" entities in that there is no corporate income tax, but rather profits or losses "pass through" the company to the owner(s) and are taxed only on the owner(s) income taxes. A subchapter c corporation is a totally different animal in that it sets you up for double taxation (paying corporate taxes; then being taxed on your income from the company, too) and is best for larger companies that need a more formal structure.

Between an LLC and sub-S, an LLC is slightly easier to administrate and set up (less paperwork) and is usually the better choise. A sub-S might be better if you anticipate you might later sell some part of the business (i.e. some shares)--that's somewhat easier to do with a sub-S than an LLC.

You should set up with an LLC or sub-S; register the business to do do business in your state (go to your state's governmental website for forms, instructions, etc.); buy insurance (even with the LLC or inc., you also want insurance); and, if you are going to have employees, when you do, make life easier for yourself and let ADP or someone else like that handle the payroll.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption