If I want to resign my recent appointment of executrix to my mother’s troubled estate, shouldn’t I be able to do this?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to resign my recent appointment of executrix to my mother’s troubled estate, shouldn’t I be able to do this?

My mother passed away 5 months ago. My brother and I were named in her Will as co-executors but he declined and I accepted the appointment. He is listed as my agent. I live out of state and now I am facing serious financial hardship as well as my husband’s illness. I asked the court for a declination form and they told me I would have to find an administrator to succeed me before they would accept my resignation. My mother’s estate is fraught with debts and I frankly don’t need the addition financial drain. What can I do? Doing the right thing has only got me more hardship.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that you are having.  I can surely understand the problems with having to adminsiter an estate from out of state and then your own life that has taken some serious turns.  So you may have to ask the attorey for the estate to make a motion to allow you to decline your fiduciary position and ask that a public administrator be appointed should no one else step up to the plate.  You can not be forced in to having to be the fiduciary if it casues you hardship.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption