Will I still be eligible to collect unemployment ifI quit my job because the date that I live in is too expensive?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I still be eligible to collect unemployment ifI quit my job because the date that I live in is too expensive?

I want to quit my job because I cannot afford to live in the state of CA and want to relocate to another state.

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately no--if you quit or resign your job voluntarily because you want to relocate to another state, you are definitely *not* entitled to unemployment. As a general matter, when the employee makes the choice to leave the job, he or she is never entitled to unemployment. There is a narrow exception for what's called "constructive termination," which is when *the employer* changes the job in some way as to make it impossible to do the job, such as by transferring the employee to a different location many hours away. However, the high cost of living in CA is not the employer's responsibility, and even if it's the right life decision for you, it does not entitle you to unemployment compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption