If a university has sent me to collections for $6000 for classes I didn’t take, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a university has sent me to collections for $6000 for classes I didn’t take, what can I do?

I went to a university and they are charging me for 3 classes I didn’t take. I’ve been trying to resolve this for 2 years and I always get the runaround and then they stopped calling me back or answering emails. I have started with about 5 different people and even tried to get it sent up to the managers many times but I’ve never actually spoken to one. What kind of lawyer can help me with this?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Any lawyer with a general practice or  who handles consummer debt cases can help you.

To get the money, if you don't pay it voluntarily, the university or its collections agency will have to sue you. If they do, to win, they will have to present evidence showing you took the classes. You, in turn, can present evidence showing that you did not--e.g. transcripts that don't list it; class schedules that show you were in a different class at the time; testimony or yourself or other witnesses. They will have to prove their case by the standard of "preponderance of the evidence"--i.e. that it is more likely than not that you took the classes. You may be able to counterclaim for some costs or compensation, if this is a baseless action; you should discuss that with your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption