I want to know if I can refile a case that has been dismissed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know if I can refile a case that has been dismissed?

Im a victim for a violation of protection order and I was never subpoenaed to court, therefore the charge got dismissed against my abuser. Can I re-file the charge? Its ohio law.

Asked on September 2, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can go back to municipal court and ask to refile the charges, but it is up to the municipal court prosecutor: unlike in civil case, where the victim is the "plaintiff," or person suing, and so is in charge of the action, in a criminal case, which includes municipal court actions, the prosecutor is in charge and decides when and what charges to bring.
That said, typically if a matter is dismissed due to a failure to have a key witness, that is a dismissal "without prejudice," and the case legally *can* be brought again, since there was no determination "on the merits"--no judicial decision as to what happened. But again, even if it can be brought, the prosecutor must agree to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption