I want to immigrate the the USA from Canada but…

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to immigrate the the USA from Canada but…

I want to immigrate to the USA from Canada, but I don’t have many skills and I don’t have a degree. I have always wanted to work in law enforcement in the U.S. but I am unsure if experience in the police force here would suffice in getting a job offer in the U.S. I want to know if I could immigrate to the U.S. before getting a job here to gain experience.

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

no, you need to have a degree in order to qualify for a work visa in the US.  unless you immigrate to the US through a family-based petition, such as through marriage or relatives who are US citizens, it will most likely not be possible for you without first obtaining a degree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption