I want to get out my lease without any penalties.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to get out my lease without any penalties.

I had a murder in front of my door. Two young kids where shooting at eachother and one died the other was injured. So I wana be able to get out of my lease without any penalties.

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You are abosuletly right to be concerned based on what happened.  Was this an isolated incident or does this happen freequently?  The problem that you will have is that you are obligated under the lease as it is a contract for which you can be sued for if you fail to pay rent.  The good news i that you can ask your landlord to let you out, but they are not required to do that unless the landlord has done something to make the building unsafe whereby they have deprived you of your quiet enjoyment of the premises.  The problem is that the landlord here is not the one causing the problem, but rather the local people in the neighborhood.  I would suggest asking the landlord if you can pay a discounted lump sum to get out of the lease.  Is there an early  termination clause in the lease?  I would have to know more to advise you, but you certainly should look into moving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption