I want to file a claim against a company that owes us money in excess of 62,000, how do we do that?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to file a claim against a company that owes us money in excess of 62,000, how do we do that?

I am a solar contractor where we did work for another company . The other company
has not paid us for that work and they have offices in different states from
where we are. How should I proceed?

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You file a lawsuit against them. For this amount of money, given that they are located in a different state or states than you, you could file in either state court (since they specifically hired you to do work for them, you could likely file in your state, in your county: their deliberate or intentional contracting with a company in your location could very likely be a sufficient contact with your state and county as to convey jurisdiction) or in federal court (under "diversity" jurisdiction for disputes between residents of different states). Filing a lawsuit is how you get money from someone who should have paid you but has not. If your company is an LLC or corporation, you *must* have an attorney to represent you; and for this amount of money, you *should* have a lawyer anyway. Therefore, retain an attorney to help you, and the lawyer can guide in the best court to file in, draft the legal papers, and file them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption