I want to fight a ticket i recieved for a weather related accident

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to fight a ticket i recieved for a weather related accident

I was goin 30-35mph on the high way and after attempting to switch to 4wd, hit ice that sent my rwd vehicle xterra into the median. Minimal damage happened and a state trooper helped me get to the exit after the vehicle could drive. He then gave me a ticket for weaving in lanes after explaining he could have give me a careless driving ticket. I have a witness in the car to prove i was not driving unsafe and this is the definition of an accident.

Asked on November 26, 2018 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have two options--both involve showing up in court.
1) When you get there, talk to the prosecutor calmly and respectfully, explain the situation, let them know you have a witness if necessary) and try to negotiate a plea to a lesser offense--fewer (or possibly no) points and/or a lesser fine. Most prosecutors will offer a favorable plea to people with otherwise good records, and if you get a good plea, take it.
2) You can plead guilty, have a trial, and try to prove that you did nothing at all wrong and it was all weather-related. IF you can convince the judge of that, you will have the ticket dismissed--but if you don't, you'll get the full fine, plus a small additional amount of "court costs" and all three points.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption