What to do if I want to co-sponsor an immigrant for citizenship but I want to understand the process better?

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to co-sponsor an immigrant for citizenship but I want to understand the process better?

It is a 10 year commitment, but am I just responsible for the immigrant, him, his wife and natural children, or him, his spouse and all children including stepchildren? What am I responsible for? Will every late payment they make on something effect my credit? I want to understand the process before volunteering.

Asked on April 15, 2013 under Immigration Law, Nebraska


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are not a co-signer on the immigrant's obligations.  What the affidavit or support is is a contract between you and the government, whereby you agree to reimburse the government for any benefits the immigrant may apply for and receive that are considered means-tested (e.g. welfare).  So, as long as the immigrant does not apply for any such government benefits, the affidavit of support will not be triggered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption