If I want a divorce from my husband but he is still due his army reserve signing bonus, am I entitled to any of it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want a divorce from my husband but he is still due his army reserve signing bonus, am I entitled to any of it?

He signed a contract with the army reserves over a year ago and has yet to receive his $20,000 bonus that is within his contract. Am I entitled to half of that bonus during our divorce or after our divorce is final if he still hasn’t received it, since he signed the contract while we were married? What if he receives it during our divorce but before it is finalized?

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Family Law, Massachusetts


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The court cannot grant or divide a future asset.  Even though your husband signed a contract, there is a chance he won't earn that contract.  As such, you need to wait until after he has received the bonus to seek or finalize your divorce. As far as how much you will receive, that will depend on the value of the estate and how the court divides the estate.  For example, if there is a vehicle worth $20K with no lien and it is awarded to you... then the court could let him keep the bonus... as a way to equalize the division of the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption