How best to handle a situation if I bumped a car in my parking lot and scratched the bumper?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle a situation if I bumped a car in my parking lot and scratched the bumper?

I confronted the owner of the car and made them aware of the issue. I also told him to get a written estimate of buffing out the scratch and that if that cost less than $1000, I’d pay from my pocket or else I would redirect it to my car insurer. He now gave me a signed letter stating that he went some places to get the estimate and said it would cost more than $1000. So they now want 1000$ so that he could do the repair himself. What do I need to do so that this guy will no come after me in the future?

Asked on February 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance company to handle it.
If you don't want to do that, you will need to have the other party sign a release in exchange for your payment of his repair bill.  A release of liability means that he is giving up all claims against you in exchange for receiving payment as full settlement.  You can obtain the boilerplate language for a release at the law library.  Ask the law librarian to help you find the appropriate language.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption