If someone was evicted from a premises by one co-owner, can they move back in if invited by the other co-owner?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone was evicted from a premises by one co-owner, can they move back in if invited by the other co-owner?

I’ve got the most pain in the butt daughter you could ever imagine. About 9 months ago, she was evicted from me and my wife’s second home. I had to go through the eviction process for my own daughter. Luckily my wife was out of the country on the day of the hearing. If she wasn’t our daughter would have still been held up in that home. Now from what I sense in a recent chit chat between my brother and my wife, it seems like my daughter is interested in going back to that home and guess what – mom – yes she supports her once again. My daughter was already ordered to leave that home before can she go back again? When that house was cleared I had a good friend change the locks and I made sure that I only had the only copy.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you if the co-owner (partner) in the home that you own has invited the daughter that was evicted previously to move back into the same unit that the eviction arose from, the invitation is allowed and the evicted person may legally move back.

The rationale is that one owner of the unit can act on behalf of both. Such essentially is the cornerstone of basic partnership law.

What you have is a problem between you and your wife/partner caving in to your detriment and most likely hers. I suggest that you and your wife have a face to face talk about the realities of what she is doing and undoing all that was done in getting the difficult child out of the "nest".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption